Tiger nut is believed to offer many benefits to the body due to the presence of many nutrients in the food, but it is able to do much more. Tiger nuts have several effects on female fertility and can make it easier for women to conceive. It also offers several health benefits for pregnant women.
In this article, we are going to look at how tiger nuts affect female fertility, as well as their other benefits.
What Are Tiger Nuts?
Although they are called tiger nuts, they have nothing to do with tigers or nuts. Tiger nuts are actually edible tubers.
They are known by different names in various ethnic groups in Nigeria, however, they are popularly known as Hausa groundnuts in all parts of the country. The reason for this name is because they are mostly grown in the Northern parts of the country.
Tiger nuts are taken as a snack by most people and while the sweet flavor they offer is the reason why most people who consume them, there are lots of health benefits that can be gotten from consuming a good amount of tiger nuts daily.
Tiger nuts are a rich source of beneficial nutrients like minerals and vitamins. Below are some of the nutrients that can be gotten from consuming tiger nuts
- Dietary fibre
- Vitamins C and E
Tiger Nuts and Female Fertility: What Are The Links?
Tiger nuts can help boost female fertility and increase your chances of getting pregnant.
- Tiger nuts can boost female fertility by normalizing menstrual cycles and averting ovulation decline. Factor like hormone imbalance and old age can alter the menstrual cycle which has a significant effect on female fertility.
- Tiger nuts also have a significant effect on women undergoing fertility treatments. Consuming the edible tubers can boost the success rate of the pregnancy.
- Tiger nuts contain vitamin E which boosts the immune system. A strong immune system keeps the body functioning properly and contributes to female fertility.
- Extracts of tiger nuts contain important compounds that increase the female reproductive hormone, oestrogen. This hormone is responsible for the development and regulation of the female reproductive system.
- Low oestrogen levels can to missed or irregular periods. It could also prevent ovulation and make getting pregnant very difficult thereby leading to female infertility. By consuming tiger nuts, the levels of oestrogen in the body are naturally increased which, in turn, boosts female fertility.
Tiger Nuts and Pregnancy
Vitamin E provides more benefits other than boosting female fertility. It promotes the formation and maintenance of the placenta which is needed for supporting a healthy pregnancy. This vitamin E also prevents the premature rupture of the amniotic sac in pregnancy.
Tiger nuts could also aid in the production of breast milk which is why expectant mothers should consume them before, during, and after pregnancy.
Tiger Nuts For Male Fertility
While Tigers nuts work wonders on female fertility, it also does the same for men.
Tigers nuts promote the production of the male sex hormone, testosterone. It is believed that this effect is due to the presence of nutrients like quercetin, zinc, and vitamins in Tiger nut.
Testosterone is the main male sex hormone. It plays a significant role in the development of the male reproductive system. Testosterone also stimulates sperm production and a man’s sex drive.
A significant increase in this hormone increases sexual desire and potency in men.
Boosts Sperm Motility and Count
Vitamin E is one of the most beneficial nutrients when it comes to female fertility. This nutrient also has similar effects and offers the same benefits to men. Vitamin E is known to increase sperm mobility, quality, and count which increase male fertility.
Another nutrient, quercetin, also has a beneficial effect on sperms. It can increase testis weight and improve sperm quality which boosts male fertility. Other nutrients like Cyperus esculentus extract which improves oestrogen levels in females can also boost sperm count and mobility by increasing gonadotropins and testosterone levels.
All these bring about increased male fertility and make it easier for a couple to conceive if the problems with conceiving are caused by the fertility of the man.
Prevents Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is a situation in which the man cannot keep his erection firm enough for intercourse. Erectile dysfunction is caused by many factors, but consuming tiger nuts can alleviate this condition by managing some of the factors.
Tiger nuts contain omega-3 fatty acids which could reduce the risk of heart disease and prevent plaque accumulation in the arteries.
This improves blood flow to the genitals and prevents erectile dysfunction. Another nutrient, quercetin can also prevent erectile dysfunction by inhibiting oxidative stress.
Another antioxidant, Vitamin E, also plays an important role in preventing erectile dysfunction by ameliorating age-associated factors that bring about the condition.
How to Make Tiger Nuts Milk
Tiger Nuts can be consumed raw, roasted or made into tiger nut milk. If you prefer to consume the milk you can follow the guide below.
- Raw tiger nuts
- The tiger nuts should have been soaked in cold water for about 48 hours (2 days). If you bought the tiger nuts from sellers, you can soak it overnight as they have been properly hydrated by the sellers.
- When done with soaking, you should wash the nuts with cool water.
- Place the nuts in the blender and blend them to extract the milk. You can add extra ingredients such as coconut, sugar, and ginger to boost the taste of the milk, however, these ingredients are optional. The nuts you use should be good, undamaged, and healthy. You can add a little water to make the blending easier.
- After blending, use cheesecloth to separate the milk from the chaff.
- Pour the milk into bottles and store in the fridge. When cool, you can serve and drink it.
- The tiger nut milk should not be stored for more than 2 days in the fridge or it will go bad.